The BEST French Dip Sandwich! Tender beef, sweet onions, melted cheese, and au jus for dipping. Slow Cooker or Instant Pot recipe.
- 2 ½ lb chuck roast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1-2 bay leaf
- 12 oz Guinness
- 3 C beef broth
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Place chuck roast in the bowl of a 5-6 quart slow cooker. Sprinkle the top with half of the spices, then rub in. Flip the chuck roast and repeat with the remaining spices. Add bay leaf. Pour in beer and beef stock. Cover and cook on high 5 hours or low for 10 hours.
- Carefully remove chuck roast, shred with forks and transfer to a bowl. Divide shredded beef between rolls, top off with optional cheese. Serve with leftover cooking juices.
- Add the beef to the onion mixture in the Instant Pot, add in the remaining broth and the bay leaf. Cook on high pressure for 45 minutes, followed by a 25 minute natural release. Remove the meat to a cutting board and thinly slice it (against the grain) or shred it, set aside.
- Place a fine mesh strainer over a large bowl and carefully pour the juices from the Instant Pot through the strainer and into the bowl (this is your au jus). Set aside the onions that remain in the strainer, discard the bay leaf.
- Transfer the sliced meat and the onions back into the Instant Pot. Pour over a little bit of au jus to moisten the meat and season to taste with salt and pepper. Reserve the remaining au jus for dipping. If you'd like more au jus, you can stir in a little beef broth to make it stretch farther.
- Toast your rolls, fill with meat and onions, cover with the cheese of your choice. Melt the cheese in a 375° oven or under the broiler until melted. Serve with the au jus on the side for dipping.